LMFA Strategic Plan
In March 2022, the LMFA Board of Trustees approved the following strategic plan to be reviewed every six months and completed by 2026.
As always, this plan is guided by the Longview Museum of Fine Arts mission to enrich lives and ignite a passion for the arts! Our vision is to be the premier art museum in East Texas engaging diverse audiences in person and online.
LMFA accomplishes its mission by curating exhibitions featuring national artists, regionally based Texas artists, and selections from the permanent collection. In addition, the museum continues its over 60-year tradition of hosting annual student invitationals. Students from high schools all across East Texas participate. This outreach not only encourages and fosters budding artists, but also promotes art education programming in the region.
- Continue to expand collaboration with local, state, and national collectors, museums, and institutions to curate and organize exhibitions
- Continue to bring renowned exhibits to Longview and seek publicity both locally and throughout Texas and adjacent states
- Plan, organize and curate a high-profile exhibition for 2024 grand opening
- Research and improve collection storage policies and procedures
- Double the number of yearly visitors by providing and promoting renowned exhibitions and expanding educational and cultural opportunities
- Complete digitalization of the collection and make it accessible for online research
While making the necessary structural and environmental improvements necessary to attract visitors for generations to come, LMFA is equally focused on preserving the Art Deco and Mid-Century Modern architectural elements of the Fredonia Street building.
- Become an economic catalyst and job creator in Downtown Longview through increasing visitor supported retail and restaurant sales
- Complete the design and capital funding campaign for the Fredonia Street building
- Begin transitioning offices and collection storage from the current location to the newly renovated museum building
- Maintain public access to the museum using technology
- Restore a historic landmark that strengthens social bonds, school effectiveness, and cultural opportunity
Art Education: LMFA supports art education in more than 18 school districts throughout 4 counties, including Hallsville ISD, the fastest growing school district in the state of Texas.
Culture: Sitting at the heart of East Texas, Longview serves as the county seat for Gregg County which has seen a 20% increase in both its Hispanic and Asian populations since 2010. As a Texas Commission on the Arts-designated Cultural District, LMFA provides opportunities for visitors to appreciate and enjoy our rich cultural heritage.
Community: LMFA ignites a passion for the arts in East Texas by engaging community groups to both experience and create art themselves. Outreach activities offered through classroom studio serve both adults and children in the immediate community, and underserved communities in the surrounding area.
- Offer areas for the community to meet, eat, play, and shop
- Expand LMFA’s year-round educational and cultural programming opportunities to include innovative classroom and studio options for all ages
- Create areas in the galleries for art projects related to current exhibits for both children and families
- Expand and enhance the docent training program
- Create a diverse and inspiring workplace, encouraging innovation and collaboration
- Attract and engage highly dedicated volunteers and interns to help deliver on our mission and promise
Longview Museum of Fine Arts has thrived for 24 years in its current location on Tyler Street. The ability of a larger, newly renovated and innovative building to enhance and grow our reputation as the premier art museum in East Texas depends upon two factors: financial stability and staffing.
Strategic Goals: Financial Stability and Sustainability
- Conduct a financial audit and adopt a five-year financial plan that integrates all sources of revenue to meet programmatic objectives
- Strengthen relationships, deepening member engagement and amplifying the stewardship of donors
- Grow the endowment to help ensure the museum has a stable, secure future for the people of Longview
- Double community support through expanded membership, annual giving, and sponsorships
- Achieve American Alliance of Museums (AAM) accreditation
Strategic Goals: Staffing and Sustainability
- Invest in people to attract and retain talented and accomplished staff at every level
- Clarify and strengthen organizational structure, teamwork, decision-making, and accountability to support the realization of strategic goals